Game Designer - CA Sofia
Design | Total War
You will be able to offer insights that drive the way our projects are shaped and directly influence our players’ gaming experience. You'll become part of a world-class development team working on a title in the award-winning Total War series.
You will develop and champion game features that provide immersive and engaging gameplay experiences, applying your expertise to designing both game systems and the content that leverages these systems to the greatest effect. Beyond conceptual and technical skills, you must have a strong game design intuition, the capacity to understand and iterate upon gameplay aesthetics and “feel”.
Please note that a motivation letter is required for this position and applications without such will not be considered.
As a Game Designer, you will take full ownership and responsibility for multiple features and ensure they are fully delivered to the highest quality. This is to include researching, creating, balancing, implementation, and more. You will collaborate with the design team to create detailed feature designs and will work closely alongside developers from other disciplines in order to ensure that the features you are responsible for are developed to the highest standard, from initial concept to final release.
Responsible for creating and maintaining fun and balanced systems, you will also clearly communicate regular updates to the relevant discipline teams – especially where your work directly impacts them - and must be proactive in communicating progress and solving problems.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Games industry knowledge and experience, understanding the process of delivering a game
- Experience designing core systems, analyzing gameplay, identify strengths and weaknesses, and recommending improvements – shipped titles, personal projects, board game design
- Ability to balance large sets of numbers, for unit balance, progression systems etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; can communicate clearly and concisely in English and Bulgarian
- Wide-ranging experience playing a variety of video games, interested in why things work
- Able to listen to and be open to feedback and integrating that into your work
- Experience using Excel
- Knowledge of and interest in history
- Deep understanding of Total War games
- Modding experience
- Experience in using metrics to improve design
- Experience scripting in LUA
- Great attention for detail and strong visual sense
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we house many talented people, from juniors to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
We have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently, we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each month. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up for the remote process.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Additional medical and dental health insurance for you, your partner and kids, life insurance, and free health care screening
- Additional holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all Bulgarian Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, soft drinks and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Office massages*
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer and Christmas parties, Children’s day party, wrap parties for game releases*
*some of the above in-studio benefits are on hold while we work remotely during COVID-19.
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.